Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cauliflower Goulash Mashup

In my efforts to eat more whole foods, I am always looking for ways to still have the recipes I love without the refined carbs. I have found that vegetables can be used in replace of bread, rice and pasta in many dishes such as: spaghetti squash in replace of spaghetti noodles, zucchini sliced longways to substitute for lasagna noodles, zucchini sliced in half lengthwise and covered in sauce, cheese and toppings in replace of a french bread pizza, cauliflower riced and used in cabbage rolls, cauliflower mashed to replace potatoes and cauliflower "potato" salad.



So, when my husband asked for one of our favorite family recipes - Hungarian Goulash, I decided to try to find a way to replace the macaroni noodles.

Cauliflower - Goulash Mash up


  • I began by making cooking up about 1 cup diced onion and 1 cup diced green peppers in a stock pot with some coconut oil. 
  • Once the onions were translucent, I added in about 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey. 
  • Once the turkey was cooked through, I drained the excess fat and then separate the mixture into two pots - one for the traditional recipe and one for my mashup. 
  • I added to both pots a 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes and two 16 ounce cans of tomato sauce with about a 1/2 can of water. 
  • I added into each pot salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Next, I added about 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and 1/4 cup Parmesan-Romano cheese to each pot.
  • Meanwhile, I boiled two pots of water and added the macaroni noodles to one pot and chopped, fresh cauliflower in a steamer basket to the other. 
  • When the noodles were soft, I added them to one pot.
  • When the cauliflower was tender, I drained the basket and added it to the second pot.
  • After letting each pot cook for 10 minutes on medium, dinner was served!

The verdict? 

A perfect mashup. I got all the yummy flavor of the goulash without the refined carbs.

What are your go to mash ups?




No comments:

Post a Comment